Wednesday, June 23, 2010

UNII Palette & Z-Palette

In my previous post, I taught you how to de-pot eyeshadows; however, it’s no good in removing eyeshadow pans unless you have somewhere to put them. So today, I’m doing a review of magnetic eyeshadow palettes.

The guinea pigs in question are the UNII Palette and the Z-Palette. As both products are quite different, it is not my objective to pick a winner – rather to let you decide which is best for you.

Z-PALETTE

Style By Caroline - Empty Z Palette

  • Order Process: I submitted my Z-Palette order through Annmarie Judd (Irish make-up artist and distributor for Z-Palettes). The order process was very simple and straightforward, and was processed via Paypal. I submitted my order on a Thursday morning and received my order the very next afternoon (postage within Republic of Ireland). The items were very well packaged also.
  • Choice: Z-Pallettes come in two designs (black and zebra-print), plus two sizes (large and small).
  • Price: Large palettes are priced at €19 and small palettes are priced at €14. Note that you will need to purchase magnets separately, which are priced at €4 for €40. There is a postage and packaging fee of €4 per order.
  • Appearance: According to the website, Z-Palettes are made of a “high quality matte paper”. I wasn’t sure what this meant exactly until I saw the product in the flesh i.e. it’s the same packaging that Benefit Cosmetics use. On the plus side, this means that the packaging is 70% recyclable; however, I wonder after some time in my make-up kit will it begin to look a little disheveled. Nonetheless, it appears hardwearing, plus it’s easy to clean.
  • Pros: The clear cover means that you can see exactly what’s in it before you open it (ideal if you have a few of these palettes on the go). Also, the large size is actually very large (accommodates 27 MAC eyeshadows), and the magnetic base has a good strong hold.
  • Cons: The palettes themselves are shallow and will only accommodate pans with a maximum depth of 4mm (you may find yourself caught for space with some brands). I also think that it’s a hassle to have to buy the magnets separately plus I wonder whether they will cope with the wear and tear of living in my make-up kit. Time will tell!

UNII PALETTE

Style By Caroline - Empty UNII Palette

  • Order Process: I submitted my order via the UNII Palette website. The order process is simple and you can pay via Paypal, Google Checkout or Amazon. Delivery took about 5 working days (from US to Ireland) and the packaging was excellent.
  • Choice: The UNII Palette is available in five different colours (pink, blue, yellow, purple and silver). Only one size available.
  • Price: $29 each or 2 for €28 and 3 for $27 (magnets included). Free shipping to the US and Canada. I paid €53.10 for 2 palettes (including postage and packaging to Ireland).
  • Appearance: UNII Palettes are very pretty to look at, but more importantly, they are very very strong. They have a deep tray which will accommodate 99% of make-up pans, plus they have a very secure clip which ensures that they don’t pop open.
  • Pros: The hard plastic case means that it will withhold any clattering about in my make-up case. I love the fact that it has a large clear mirror in the interior, plus a rubber seal around the edge to prevent leakage. You also receive magnets with labels that you can affix to your products, plus an instruction card which shows you how to depot your make-up. (Similarly there are great videos, photographs and written instructions on the site for depotting and maintenance).
  • Cons: My only quibble is the fact that the palette is quite small. (It will accommodate a maximum of 14 MAC eyeshadows) and as a professional make-up artist I would get great use out of a larger size.

My Completed UNII Palettes

Style By Caroline - Full UNII Palettes

I hope that the above reviews are of use to you. Both palettes offer value for money but only you can decide which suits your needs best. If you have any queries, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Yours in style,
Caroline

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter or via RSS.

No comments:

Post a Comment