Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Review: Maybelline 24 Hour Foundation

I have a degree in marketing. I have written a thesis on marketing. I have worked for 5 years in marketing. Goodness, I’ve even taught marketing classes.

So, with all that experience, you would think that I would be immune to the hysterical claims made by cosmetic companies in the name of marketing.

Well, you would be wrong, dear reader, for I am a gullible fool when it comes to make-up.

Not only am I a gullible fool, I also love, LOVE, a challenge - and that is why my bathroom shelves are littered with so-called non-chipping nail varnishes, moisturisers that turn back time…and now, a foundation that apparently lasts 24 hours!

Ah yes, the latter. I’m referring to Maybelline’s Superstay 24 Hour Foundation. Having seen the glossy TV advert for the first time this week, my immediate reaction was one of horror; “ugh, why would you not wash your face for 24 hours!” Ah, but then a beguiling voiceover mentioned something about a unique “Microflex formula” which ensures 24-hour durability and no transfer, which got me thinking, “I wonder does it ACTUALLY work?”. Before you know it I was in Tesco scouting the cosmetics aisle like a woman possessed!

Maybelline Superstay

The Official Road Test

I was excited to try out this product as I have had somewhat of a foundation crisis in recent months. My skin type has bizarrely changed from ‘very dry’ to ‘combination’, and so my beloved moisture-rich foundations have been given a P45. Since then, I’ve struggled to find a foundation that (a) keeps my oily T-zone at bay, (b) covers blemishes and (c) doesn’t look cakey. Poor ole Maybelline had a lot to contend with eh!

Righto, so here’s the science bit: Maybelline tells us that this foundation contains a unique “Microflex formula” (you gotta love Marketers!) which ensures 24-hour durability and no transfer. Furthermore, they say that it can withstand heat, sweat and humidity.

Big claims. But does it live up to the hype? Let’s see.

Things I Liked

  • Colour: The shade was an excellent match for my skin (I chose "005 Ivory" as I’m Pale McPalerson). The other shades on the shelf looked like good 'suitably Irishy' shades too.
  • Packaging: No-nonsense packaging with a sturdy bottle and easy-to-use pump.
  • SPF: It contains an SPF19 - an essential in my book.
  • Coverage: My skin felt very soft while wearing the product. I liked the light consistency and it didn’t feel at all heavy or ‘cakey’.
  • Consistency: Note that this is a very matte foundation – which suits me, but may not appeal you if you like a ‘dewy’ look.
  • Price: It’s very reasonably priced. Mine was €9.99 in Tesco.
  • Feedback: I received two (unprompted!) compliments.

Things I Disliked:

  • Durability: It didn’t last 12 hours, not to mind 24! Despite using a foundation primer underneath and a setting powder on top, I noticed after only an hour that the sides of my nose were starting to shine, and after 4 hours, my nose was looking decidedly patchy and after 8 hours, the sides of my nose looked a bit naked! After 12 hours, I felt that the drier areas of my face (cheeks) began to develop at 'crepe pape look'.
  • Settlement: Alarmingly, it seemed to settle in my crows feet laughter lines – these are not areas that I wish to draw attention to.

The Verdict:

Right, confession time: I didn't actually wear this foundation for the full 24 hour quota - I just couldn't bring myself to go to sleep while still wearing make-up. I gave it a good 15 hours though, which was more than enough time for me to put it through its paces.

Overall, I quite liked this foundation. I was a little disappointed that it didn't deliver fully on its promise of durability; in saying that however, it’s equally as good - if not better - than some of the designer brands I’ve tried, at only a fraction of the cost! Personally speaking, I’ll definitely use it again…but I’ll be sure to put some clarifying powder in my bag.

So, would I recommend it? Yes, it's a good all-rounder and will suit most people with youthful 'middle of the road skin' (i.e. not too oily, not too dry, relatively clear) . I suspect that the moisture content and coverage may not be sufficient for mature skin however.

I would love to hear how others got on with this product. Remember, everyone’s skin is different so what works for me may not work for you and vice versa. Don't be shy in sharing your thoughts in the comment box below.

Hope this info helped!

Yours in style,
Caroline

1 comment:

  1. I love this foundation, but as you said better suited for younger skin (24). I have oily skin and this one was suggested to me when I was about 18 or 19. I can't not have this in my makeup collection for nights on the town. For me it withstands a night out (drinks, dinner, clubbing, early morning walks home in 2 degree weather).
    I agree about it running down the nose. I find Benefits Porefessional on my t-zone before applying makeup really helps, anything silicone based really. I also use Australis Primer over the rest of my face.

    Great blog :) xo Jocelyn

    https://jpwbeauty.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete