Thursday, November 18, 2010

Black A-Line Skirt

Every woman’s wardrobe should contain a number of ‘failsafe’ garments that she knows will (a) flatter her figure tremendously, and (b) suit a variety of occasions. In my opinion, one of those garments should be a great black skirt.

And if you were to ask me for the one style that suits every figure, I would say a gentle A-line shape (skims softly over the bum and hips), with a wide waistband (supports the lower tummy) and that finishes at, or just below the knee (often a flattering part of a woman’s leg).

It seems that I’m not the only proponent of the black, A-line, wide-waistband, knee-length skirt. I received an excellent query on my Facebook page this morning from a reader seeking advice on where she might find a skirt of this description!

For such a simple garment, it is remarkably hard to come by…especially in the depths of the AW10 fashion season, which seems to be paying exclusive homage to the pencil skirt.

Undeterred nonetheless, I did a thorough trawl of the Internet to see if I could find anything suitable. Most of the high streets shops let me down unfortunately, but I think I may have found a few hidden gems elsewhere…

Phase Eight Carter Hook-up Skirt (£39 on sale)

Phase Eight Carter Hook-up Skirt

I have a very similar version of this skirt in Navy (different fabric) and it is an extremely flattering fit. I always receive compliments when I wear it. On the hanger it might look a bit baggy, but it’s quite streamlined when it is on. The fabric is quite light and you can adjust the length and shape of the skirt easily using the hook-ups. Phase Eight is available at Brown Thomas.

French Connection Rhonda Plains Skirt (£55)

French Connection Rhonda

This French Connection skirt is not quite a true A-line shape, but it does have generous room at the hips and I reckon that it could look really flattering on.

Warehouse Legion Skirt (€60)

Warehouse Legion Skirt

I love the interesting pocket and waistband detail on this skirt from Warehouse.

Principles by Ben de Lisi Black Velvet Trim Ottoman Skirt (€68)

Ben De Lisi Principles Ottoman Skirt

This skirt, available at Debenhams, would be a very versatile skirt for Winter. The waistband isn’t particularly wide, but the fabric weight and belt detailing would give some support to the lower tummy. Incidentally, the Debenhams website has quite a lot of black skirts in its range, which you might like to check out.

Twenty8Twelve Magrite Taffeta Skirt (£65 on sale)

Twenty8Twelve Taffeta Skirt

This taffeta skirt from Sienna and Savannah Miller’s clothing collection is a really versatile number. The high waistline will give great support to the lower tummy area. It is available from Asos.com where you can check out a video of the above model wearing the skirt on the catwalk.

See by Chloé Silk-Blend Tiered Skirt (€131.24)

See by Chloe Skirt

This See by Chloé skirt, available at designer discount emporium, TheOutnet.com, is a fun yet sophisticated take on a black skirt. It finishes just above the knee.

All Saints Hoxie Leather Skirt (£195)

All Saints Black Leather Skirt

Finally, I adore the shape of this soft, light, leather skirt from All Saints. Delectable, but pricey!

Finally, when you’re purchasing any item, make sure you bear the following considerations in mind:

  • Does it suit my shape?
  • Will I actually wear it?
  • Does it match at least 3 existing items in my wardrobe?
  • Does it wrinkle easily? (A big no-no in my books)
  • Is it easy to wash, dry and iron?

Good luck with your shopping expedition!

Yours in style,
Caroline

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or via RSS.

Information contained in this blog post may not be copied or reproduced without permission from Style By Caroline.

No comments:

Post a Comment