Friday, November 6, 2009

Waist Not, Want Not

Waistcoats, waistcoats, everywhere I look there are waistcoats. I’m not talking about ‘dapper gentleman’ ones. No such luck. I mean ladies’ fashiony waistcoats. Flicking through Grazia and the like, it appears that you’re at nothing this Winter unless you are sporting a woolly torso-toaster…


.. or a teeny, low-cut denim delight…

So who can wear this style?

CHOOSE IF... the top half of your body is smaller than the bottom half. A slim-fitting waistcoast can balance out your proportions, aswell as drawing attention to your neat upper half.

AVOID IF...the top half of your body is busty, boxy or large on top avoid this style as it will do absolutely nothing flattering for you.

Conclusion

Waistcoasts are hard to wear, in my opinion. Unless you have quite slim proportions, they can make you look bigger than what you are. Also, they can be quite ‘boxy’ and therefore don’t always enhance womanly curves.

All in all, I think this trend is best left to the youngsters (i.e. anyone who wasn’t around for the original 1980s experience).

Which reminds me, there is a photo at home somewhere of me in 1994 (old enough to know better) looking a fright in a massive REVERSIBLE waistcoat…denim on one side and thick brown chord on the other. Imagine! Of course I wore it with the mandatory Levi’s 501s. *Shudder*

Moving swiftly back to the present, if you really want to ‘get waisted’, check out http://www.asos.com/ where they have a plethora of styles.

Yours in style,
Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment