Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tried & Tested: Barbara Daly Make-up

"You're the spitting image of Dita Von Tease"...

"You have the most amazing lips I have ever seen"...

Just two of the most extraordinary compliments that little ole me received from total strangers in Nancy Blakes in Limerick last night!

Now, let me assure you that even if you crossed your eyes, squinted and wore your granny's bifocals, you would still fail to see any resemblance between me and Dita Von Tease. Nor do I have lips like Angelina Jolie for that matter. But for a few hours last night at least, my lips drew favourable comparisons to the aforementionned luscious lovelies!

"How? How!" says you.

Well, I'll let you into a secret. The lip colour that I was wearing was from Tesco of all places!

Usually my visits to Tesco are like a Dale Winton trolley dash; but yesterday I found myself with a few minutes to spare and so I made a beeline for the Barbara Daly make-up display.

Barbara Daly is to make-up what Barack Obama is to politics. She is amongst the most eminent artists in the make-up industry and has a dazzling career portfolio spanning 3 decades. Supermodels, high fashion magazines, leading photographers...you name them, she's worked with them.

Earlier this decade, Barbara lent her expertise, not to mention her name, to a phenomenally-popular diffusion make-up line at Tesco. Fast-forward to 2009 and the release of a re-vamped version of the line - The Perfect 10 Collection.
To say that The Perfect 10 Collection has been successful that George Clooney is average-looking. Beauty editors, make-up artists and shoppers alike have gone doolally over it; in fact, Tesco are having a hard time keeping the shelves stocked it is so popular!

And yesterday I got to test the goods for myself and see did they cut the mustard. Did they heck - look at the feedback I got above!


Caroline's 'TRIED & TESTED'

One-step Powder Foundation ("Warm Ivory"): This powder-based foundation is bang on trend at the moment and is certainly a high-quality product. As my skin tends to be quite dry, the powder formulation left me looking a bit parched. Also, the colour was a shade too light (even for my so-white-I'm almost-translucent complexion!). However, that is not to say it is a bad foundation - just bad for me. It would be far better on normal or slightly oily skin. Apply with a soft powder brush. No need for setting powder.

Cream Concealer ("Pale" and "Medium*"): Be warned, the "Pale" is very very pale. I know it says it on the tin, but even I (Pale McPalerson) here found it too light for my whiter-than-white complexion! The medium was a much better colour for me, so the lesson is try before you buy. Both shades have a yellow-base, which means that they work well for neutralising darkness under the eyes or hiding any red blemishes. I liked the creamy consistency (which is not unlike Bobbi Brown's creamy concealer) but some people might find it a bit heavy for under the eyes. Apply with a concealer brush (preferably synthetic bristles).

Soufflé Blush ("Rose"*): Ooh this blush is just gorgeous. I must confess I have actually had this in my professional kit for a while now and it is one of my most-used products. Great for giving a natural glow, it is easy to apply and lasts for ages. Great for cooler-toned skins. Apply with your finger tips or a small duo-fibre brush.

Soufflé Blush ("Whisper"): This is a slightly warmer version of the above. Super for warmer-toned complexions.

Cheek-to-Cheek Powder Blush ("Petal"): The lighter peachy tone has a very subtle shimmer and is wonderful for highlighting. The darker matte colour is a lovely pink shade and works very well over the soufflé blushes above. Apply with a regular blush brush.

Soufflé Eye-Shadow ("Sea Foam*" and "Driftwood"): Ooh, these are pretty. Creamy shimmery delectible little pots of colour. "Sea Foam*" is a silvery grey colour, with the barest hint of green. "Driftwood" is a shimmery bronze-champagne mix. Both of these colours are lovely but perhaps work best as a base for powder shadows as the colours are not terribly strong when applied. Apply with your fingertips or a synthetic eye-shadow brush.

Lipstick ("Gypsy*", "Watermelon", "Innocent" and "Sorbet"): I was super-impressed by these lipsticks. The unique square-edge makes them very easy to apply, the colours are intense and long-lasting, and the finish is creamy, silky and supple. 10/10 Barbara! Colour guide: "Gypsy*" = red , "Innocent" = nude, "Sorbet" = candy pink and "Watermelon" = the coour of a watermelon, strangely enough!

Shades marked with an asterisk(*) are those that I wore last night. I only wish I took a photo to show you the finished look. I'll recreate the look over the Christmas holidays and put it up here with a step-by-step application guide.


Yours in style,
Caroline


No comments:

Post a Comment