Thursday, December 17, 2009

Pat on the back for BTs

Times are exceptionally tough for retailers at the moment there's no doubt. Our plundering economy, combined with a lean appetite for spending, has left our poor retailers reeling. And with only 8 days until Christmas, my retail colleagues are telling me that business remains far from brisk.

I won't be popular with my aforementionned colleagues for saying this; but for shoppers, the past few weeks have been a veritable joy! No rip-off merchents, no crowds and none of the harried service we experienced in previous years. We see retailers coming up with innnovative ways of attracting us and for the first time in years we are getting great VALUE. By value I don't mean cheaper products (although that certainly helps), I'm also referring to friendlier service, greater personal attention and an overall more pleasant shopping experience.


I'm particularly fascinated by the transformation of Brown Thomas from supercilious to super-considerate. This year has been an 'annus horribilis' for the retail sector in general but in fairness BT has reacted with aplomb. From the introduction of loyalty cards, to their weekly 'special offer' e-newsletters, they have made great strides in making their once-aloof brand more accessible and appealing.

And now I see today on the 'News' section of http://www.brownthomas.com/, that they have Brown Thomas Gift Genies in each store throughout the festive season who will assist you in finding the perfect gifts for your loved ones.



This is the innovation and value I'm talking about! I commend Brown Thomas and others for making a huge effort and recognising that customers will spend their hard-earned cash once they perceive that they are getting great value.

Hindsight has 20/20 vision; I believe that once we ride out the recessionary storm, we will look back on this period with grim affection. Going forward, I hope that retailers will continue offering improved value and will reap rewards from same.


Yours in style,
Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment